Attacks By Burmese Military Against The Media

Burmese military , who took control of the country through the February 1 coup , broke into at least two media offices in a new episode of press harassment.

Several military personnel stormed the headquarters of Kamayut Media in Rangoon, the former capital and most populous city in the country, on Tuesday afternoon, and later arrested its co-founder, Han Thar Nyein, and the editor-in-chief, Nathan Maung, according to the Myanmar portal. Now.

On the same day, the soldiers also broke into the office of Mizzima, one of the five outlets whose license for publishing and broadcasting was canceled on Monday, although it had been unoccupied since the military uprising.

Mizzima, created by Burmese journalists in exile in 1988, reaffirmed its commitment to “continue fighting against the military coup and the restoration of democracy and human rights in Burma ” and pledged to continue reporting on its digital portals and social media.

” These media reveal the true brutality of the military junta , its oppression is aimed at hiding the violations against human rights,” denounced the Association for the Assistance of Political Prisoners (AAPP) in Burma, which numbers at least 60 fatalities registered during the crackdown on demonstrations to oppose the coup.

With these, there are already three raids that the authorities have carried out against the media, after breaking into the headquarters of the Myanmar Now portal on Monday, another of the media revoked by the military junta.

“We are at a point where continuing to do our job means running the risk of being imprisoned or assassinated. The truth is that we will not stop covering the enormous crimes that the (military) regime has been committing throughout the country,” he said Tuesday. Swe Win, editor-in-chief of Myanmar Now, a portal founded in 2015.

Burma (Myanmar), where the military ruled uninterruptedly between 1962 and 2011, experienced an avalanche in the proliferation of independent media in the last decade, after the end of government censorship and during the democratic process of the Asian country. However, with the military coup, the persecution of media professionals has returned, reported Reporters Without Borders last week.

Dozens of journalists have been detained since the uprising, at least six of them accused by the authorities of violating public order laws, which is punishable by up to 3 years in prison. Meanwhile, the massive demonstrations in rejection of the military junta and demanding the return of democracy, that the results of the November elections be respected, and the release of all those detained by the military, including the deposed leader of the government, Aung San Suu Kyi.

Burmese security forces surrounded a housing complex for railway workers in Rangoon on Wednesday , who are on strike against the coup military junta.

Dozens of heavily armed soldiers and police are blocking the access road to the housing area in the Mahlwagon district of central Rangoon, according to a video posted on social media by one of the workers.

The railway workers are a very active part of the civil disobedience movement that has paralyzed part of the Administration, as well as banks, factories and shops, in protest of the coup d’├ętat on February 1.

The siege of the housing complex began at around 6:30 a.m. local time (00:00 GMT), local press reported, without confirming whether any arrests have been made.

The employees of the train service already suffered the violent attack two weeks ago by a group of supporters of the military junta at the end of a march in support of the coup authorities in Rangoon.

Doctors and other officials are also part of the heterogeneous civil disobedience movement that threatens the military junta and whose followers the authorities try to intimidate with force into returning to their jobs.

At least 60 people have lost their lives during the brutal repression by the security forces against the demonstrations in opposition to the military that spread throughout the country.

The protests continue today to express rejection of the military junta and demand a return to democracy, respect for the results of the November elections and the release of all those detained by the military, including the deposed government leader, Aung Saint Suu Kyi.

A second member of Suu Kyi’s party, the National League for Democracy (NLD), died while under arrest from an alleged shot in the back , according to his wife in statements to Radio Free Asia.

The authorities, for their part, defend the actions of the security forces and the Police assure that they act against the disturbances “in accordance with the law” and try to “minimize the wounded.”

Despite the holding of elections and the process started in 2011 in Burma towards a “disciplined democracy”, as the Army calls it – which ruled the country with an iron fist from 1962 to 2011 – the military command maintained a broad control over the political and economic aspects of the country.

The Burmese Army justified the seizure of power by an alleged electoral fraud in the past elections, where international observers did not detect any rigging and in which the National League for Democracy, the party led by Suu Kyi, destroyed, as it did in 2015.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *